Limit 1 per customer/household
A riveting, powerful novel about a pilot living in a world filled with loss—and what he is willing to risk to rediscover, against all odds, connection, love, and grace.
Hig survived the flu that killed everyone he knows. His wife is gone, his friends are dead, he lives in the hangar of a small abandoned airport with his dog, his only neighbor a gun-toting misanthrope. In his 1956 Cessna, Hig flies the perimeter of the airfield or sneaks off to the mountains to fish and to pretend that things are the way they used to be. But when a random transmission somehow beams through his radio, the voice ignites a hope deep inside him that a better life—something like his old life—exists beyond the airport. Risking everything, he flies past his point of no return—not enough fuel to get him home—following the trail of the static-broken voice on the radio. But what he encounters and what he must face—in the people he meets, and in himself—is both better and worse than anything he could have hoped for.
Narrated by a man who is part warrior and part dreamer, a hunter with a great shot and a heart that refuses to harden, The Dog Stars is both savagely funny and achingly sad, a breathtaking story about what it means to be human.
• Full-color wrap-around dust jacket artwork by François Vaillancourt
• Full-color frontispiece by François Vaillancourt
• Twelve interior illustrations by François Vaillancourt
Deluxe Production Features:
• Offset printed on an acid-free archival quality paper stock
• A fine binding
• Hot foil stamping on the front cover and spine
• Smyth-sewn to create a more durable binding
• Twine head and tail bands
• High-quality endpapers
• Sewn-in satin ribbon page marker
• Custom-made slipcase stamped with hot foil and featuring a unique die-cut window
• Signed by Peter Heller and François Vaillancourt
• Limited to 750 signed and numbered copies
• Page Count: 370 pages
About the Author:
Peter Heller is the bestselling author of the novels The Dog Stars, The Painter, The River, and The Guide, from Vintage and Knopf. He has been a contributing editor at Outside Magazine, Men’s Journal, and National Geographic Adventure, and a frequent contributor to Bloomberg Businessweek. His surfing memoir Kook won the National Outdoor Book Award. He lives in Denver, Colorado with his wife, Kim.
Product info: PREORDER (ETA: October/November 2023), published by Lividian Publications